At Ona, we don’t just strive for diversity, we thrive on it. For Ona, diversity has been a spring board for creativity, innovation, and growth. We are committed to giving equal opportunities to employees and applicants regardless of their race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, colour, nationality, age, marital status, or pregnancy status.
This position is to work on the OpenSRP team at Ona. OpenSRP is an open source mobile health platform that allows frontline health workers to electronically register and track the health of their entire client population. Read more about OpenSRP.
We’re looking for developers who want to build foundational data systems that drive change. Our team has worked on projects that record the social infrastructure of entire countries, tally the winners of national elections, and reduce infant mortality. We build software that solves real problems and you will too.
Note that the position in Jakarta is in our joint office with the Summit Institute of Development (SID). SID is a non-profit research and service delivery organization based in Indonesia. SID is committed to saving lives through improvement in health and human development at the community level, as well as through participatory evidence-based decision-making and sustainable action.
Qualities we’re looking for
- You understand the importance of abstractions and interfaces. You keep modules loosely coupled and know that algorithms + data structures = programs.
- You read and understand existing systems before diving in. You know how to prototype, how to iterate, and when to step back and think it through or ask questions.
- You are committed to the projects you work on and need to see them through to completion. You understand that solving the user’s problem is the end goal.
- You stay up to date with the latest trends and are excited to learn new languages, tools, and best practices.
- You thrive in teams and projects that span timezones and cultures.
- You’re ready and excited to travel in order to support projects, no matter how dusty or remote.
- Contribute and collaborate to the vibrant OpenSRP open source community
- Define client needs, system requirements, dependencies between requirements, and expected timelines
- Design, architect, extend and build Android client applications
- Coordinate and balance priorities of multiple projects and deliverables
- Minimum 3 years programming production Java web applications
- Minimum 3 years programming production Android client applications
- Experience programming with APIs and service based architectures
- Experience with databases and their integration into web and Android applications
- Strong attention to detail and understanding of architectural dependencies
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Experience with OpenSRP, OpenMRS, other EMRs
- Experience working with remote teams