Ona is a social enterprise that develops technology based solutions relied on by the world’s leading humanitarian, development and global health organizations to improve their impact and accountability. In the digital health sector, we support OpenSRP, a digital health platform and Global Good implemented by Ministries of Health and leading international NGO partners to help frontline health workers improve service delivery and coverage in their communities.
Ona is also actively helping to develop cutting edge approaches to precision health service delivery for malaria control and elimination and to track health worker performance. More broadly, Ona’s namesake mobile data collection platform is used by thousands of organizations worldwide, and Ona recently introduced Canopy, one of the first enterprise data management and analytics platforms designed specifically for the international health, humanitarian and development sectors.
We are looking for a support and data intern to support our platform clients and growing Ona data projects, with experience in data management and/or analysis, strong written and oral communication skills, with a keen desire to learn.
The Support and Data intern would ideally have prior experience working with data and visualizing the data in meaningful ways in the development sector. This role will be based in Nairobi, Kenya and will join the Client Services team. This role will report to the Support and M&E Manager.
- Develop and maintain support documentation on user guides, training programs, processes, and procedures for the ONA platform feature and custom solutions for client projects.
- Represent the company and through client and potential client interactions spread the word and support the sale of our products, services, and solutions.
- Author XLSForms for various client projects with simplified data collection process and a focus on data use for monitoring and evaluations.
- Analyse data and provide clients with results and recommendations that are both understandable and actionable.
- Provide data management and processing for client projects.
- Filter and “clean” data and review reports, printouts, and performance indicators to locate errors.
- Interpret data and analyze results using statistical techniques.
- Develop data visualization dashboards and indicator map layers for client projects based on client determined indicators while collaboratively working with PM and Reporting and Analytics Lead.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field, e.g. statistics, mathematics, computer science, IT, economics, engineering, social science, etc.
- Experience collecting data and/or cleaning data and/or analyzing data.
- Knowledge and experience using statistical packages (i.e. R, SPSS, Stata) and/or advanced Excel functions.
- Ability to communicate accurately, clearly, and effectively in written and spoken English.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Passion for using data to solve hard problems.
- Motivated to assist clients, to determine the best and proper solution to resolve their problems in a fast-paced environment in a timely and efficient manner.
- Self-starter and motivated to move ahead without direct instruction.
Desirable qualifications, skills and abilities
- Experience in a technology environment, ideally with some interactions with clients.
- Familiarity with mobile device data collection platforms and data collection tools (i.e. ODK Collect, Enketo webforms).
- Familiarity with data management from form development to data collection to data cleaning, analysis and visualization.
- Strong analytical skills and understanding of quantitative and qualitative techniques.
- Interest and deep familiarity with ICT4D.
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to work with multidisciplinary teams.
- A team player who enjoys interacting with people of all levels in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to speak other international languages, especially French, is a strong plus.
- Ability to live and work in Kenya preferred.